Tuesday, January 19, 2010

AmeriCorps Watershed Ambassadors: A Free Service, Here for You

My name is Jeremy Carlson and I am the AmeriCorps Watershed Management Area 8 (WMA 8) Ambassador for 2009-2010. I graduated from Ramapo College of New Jersey with a B.S. in Integrated Science, a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Psychology. I am currently enrolled as an Environmental Management graduate student at Montclair State University. I am also a member of the NY NJ Trail Conference and volunteer my time as a trail maintainer in the Pequannock Watershed. 

WMA 8 consists of the North and South Branch of the Raritan River. This watershed area is important as it consists of the headwaters for the Raritan River. Due to the two branches of this watershed, I can be found at either of these two locations: Upper Raritan Watershed Association (URWA) in Bedminster or the South Branch Watershed Association (SBWA) in Flemington. 

AmeriCorps is a free service funded by state and federal grants, whose purpose is to engage members in direct service to address unmet community needs. Also known as the Domestic Peace Corps, AmeriCorps found its genesis in 1993 with the signing of the National and Community Service Trust Act by former President Bill Clinton. Seven years later, in September 2000, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) Division of Watershed Management began hosting the AmeriCorps program to raise awareness about watershed issues here in New Jersey. Through this program, AmeriCorps members are placed in watershed management areas across the state to serve their local communities and to monitor watershed health via visual and biological volunteer monitoring programs. 

AmeriCorps Watershed Ambassadors work with and train community volunteers to monitor streams, and are also available to make presentations to community organizations and schools. These interactive presentations provide information about water and watershed issues in New Jersey and thus educate students and citizens about watershed issues and empower them to get involved in their watershed. 

Watershed Ambassadors work with all sectors of society to improve the quality of New Jersey's waterways and therefore improve the quality of life in New Jersey. Overall, as explained by the NJDEP, the program works to improve water quality by exploring relationships between people and the environment, nurturing community-based environmental activities and empowering residents to make responsible and informed decisions regarding their watershed. 

So, what is a watershed? What is non-point source pollution? How can I help protect my environment? Being a Watershed Ambassador, I am here as a free resource to answer these questions and many more. I can present free and fun educational programs about our watershed or other related topics to school groups, scout packs, community groups, fairs, or individuals. I am also able to organize free community volunteer programs such as: stream monitoring, stream clean ups, or tree plantings for those who are interested. These free and fun services can be tailored to accommodate different aged and sized groups. Did I mention that my services are free and fun? 

In just the past five years of service, AmeriCorps Watershed Ambassadors have accomplished: 
  • Over 2,500 educational watershed demonstrations in schools, civic organizations and the general public. 
  • Over 2,400 visual assessments and over 1,200 biological assessments on local waterways. 
  • Generated over 32,000 hours of volunteer community participation. The members have formed over 100 sustaining partnerships between local, statewide and national organizations. 
The AmeriCorps members also participate in national service including Make a Difference Day in October, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in January, and Youth Service Day in April. 

I feel that in donating my time as an AmeriCorps Watershed Ambassador, I am helping to make New Jersey cleaner and safer by educating people about the effects of point source and non-point source pollution. If you are interested or have any questions, please email me at JCarlson@urwa.org so we can make plans or discuss what can be done in your classroom or community group! I look forward to hearing from you! 
The AmeriCorps Pledge 
I will get things done for America -
to make our people safer,
smarter, and healthier.
I will bring Americans together 
to strengthen our communities.
Faced with apathy, 
I will take action.
Faced with conflict, 
I will seek common ground.
Faced with adversity, 
I will persevere.
I will carry this commitment 
with me this year and beyond.
I am an AmeriCorps member, 
and I will get things done. 


Jeremy Carlson 
AmeriCorps Watershed Ambassador, 2009-10 
Watershed Management Area 8 
North and South Branch Raritan River 

For more information visit: 

or email: JCarlson@urwa.org

No comments:

Post a Comment